Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dreams Do Come True (Wasn't that our senior song??)

Well, it finally happened. This last year, something I've been working towards since just after the storm became a reality. I had begun to think it was a dream I would never make true. From our sweet and humble 100 year-old cottage, Abeona House MOVED. This wasn't just a change of space...it was a qualitative change, a move towards our shared goals. And if you're included in this email, it's because I know you care about my children, or my dreams, or our work, and have maybe contributed to any of these. I want to share with you what I've been doing since last September. It's really a dream come true:

*We have a new home at 3401 Canal Street in Mid-City, in a building that has allowed us to bring in 25 new families, bringing us to a total of 55 children served!

*We are a CLASS A center, able to accept children on ChildCare Assistance, including foster children. I can't tell you the richness this diversity has brought us, and I know that our center has been able to bring stability and joy to children whose lives are in flux.

*We have a wonderful farm-to-table food program of fresh, local food. Whole grains, a wide variety of vegetables and fruit, and innovative healthy dishes that build solid foundations for healthy life choices so that our little ones live a long time, and live well. My youngest, Oliver, a tentative eater, is now scarfing down lentil burgers, and asking for frozen mango at home. I know we are creating a model. I'm very proud of our food program and can't wait to add the gardening and composting pieces.

*My role has changed to include more teacher development, community outreach and strategic planning. I now have the support of a center director who manages the staff. I can focus primarily on the development of our organization. We can further our outreach to early childhood programs in the region.

And our work continues, because it's our goal to build our own center that will accommodate the demand for our work, parenting classes, and spaces for local teachers to learn, and dialogue. We aim to raise the quality of life for these teachers, and become a better employer, raising wages, improving benefits, developing teachers toward their dreams and goals.

So yes, I still have dreams to dream for Abeona House. But I know that some things will never change:

*Our work will always be based on profound respect for children.

*We will always work in close concert with our parents to ensure that our children have strong foundations for life.

*We will always be inclusive of children with special needs. My son, Elliot, was our first, and many more have come, and will come, after him.

*Our work will always be open to the community so that we can share our documentation, the development of relationships and the capacity of children with parents, teachers, and supporters.

If you're still reading, its because you want to support this work, or me, because you know this is important to me. I'm asking you to pledge to my run/walk in the Crescent City Classic for Abeona House's Scholarship Fund. I will be in good company, with my husband and 58 other parents, teachers, and community supporters who all understand the importance of this work, of making children visible, and empowering their teachers. This will be my fourth year raising funds this way. Last year, we earned $7000. This year, our goal is $12,000.

Your donation of $5-$500 will go directly to our scholarship fund for CCAP families and financial aid recipients. Please consider going to our website to Donate Now through Paypal: www.abeonahouse.org,
or drop a check in the mail to our new location: 3401 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70119.

Please indicate your donation is in my name, and do so before April 1 (That's no joke!). All donors will receive a sweet thank you, made with love by my children. It's important to all of us(-:

No comments: