Saturday, March 31, 2012

Closing in on the Finish Line

Dear friends,
It's one week away from the Crescent City Classic and soon, I will be running out there with 20,000 other New Orleanians. Among them, there will be a contingent from Abeona House: children, parents, teachers, and even our chef! We will be sweating and smiling, and hope to bring awareness of our our organization. I'm writing to ask you for your support, as we are also raising money for our scholarship program in conjunction with the race. There is a massive FUND-RACING effort happening among our participants, as we compete to ensure our ability to serve an economically diverse population while providing a liveable wage for early childhood educators.


Since our move in December, 4 short months ago, we've doubled in size, begun accepting childcare subsidies for low-income families, and added a delicious and nutritious farm-to-table food program. It's been wonderfully gratifying to see "my baby" grow up a little, and see our many of our goals come to fruition. We wouldn't have been able to do this without your support, friendship, and belief in our mission.

As a parent, I've personally reaped the benefits of this program. My children have flourished. Yesterday, I had the bittersweet experience of meeting with Oliver's teacher to discuss his progress. While looking over his portfolio, his growth so painstakingly and beautifully documented, we begun to talk about when my preschooler will move on. We stopped for a minute and saw a picture of him talking with his friend Cadence...beneath it this conversation:
O: When we get married and have a baby, you can work and I will feed the baby.
C: I not have a baby. I am busy.
O: I will take care of the baby...OK??
As I flipped through images of Oliver problem-solving and hypothesizing, I could see that his individuality and humanity were of such value. I'm so grateful that he is seen, heard, and nurtured. I wonder what he will choose for himself as an adult, and know that he will know how to love and be loved.
 
 
But it's not just about my kid, or the three of them. It's about making children visible. Sharing with the world how inspiration, curiosity, and ideas shape powerful experiences. And honestly, how the values that young children have should be the influences that shape our "adult" world. Kindness. Compromise. Sharing. Caring. Listening. Using our words. INCLUDING all children, regardless of ability. This is what Abeona House is all about.

So I ask you to support this work with a donation of $5-$5,000. With your donation, you become a part of this wonderful work, these values, and our continued success. Donate now through Paypal (www.abeonahouse.org), or mail a donation to Abeona House Scholarship Fund, 3401 Canal Street, NOLA 70119, and indicate that you're supporting Emmy in the race.
 
 
I'm always grateful for your support, in whatever form it comes. Thank you.
Emmy

1 comment:

ruzzel01 said...

Close to success i may say. Have faith in yourself always.

obgyn phoenix