Monday, August 2, 2010

Elliot is FIVE.

My little hurricane babe,
Watch out for the rain...
the forecast is bad,
dire they say--
doom and gloom,
doom and gloom.

Devastation,
life will never be the same.
Just try to pretend
that it's all normal, sane, whole.

Day by day,
hope upon hope,
rays of light from your
roving eyes,
with optimism gripped
in your left fist,
Don't you dare f-ing count me out.
I am here.
I am.
I can.

My lover boy,
my smiling fighter,
you pulled us out 
from the wreckage of our fears,
and showed us the promise
of determination.

One rainbow at a time, 
you showed us 
new colors
that other eyes could not see,
we heard new music
in the stale everydayness of the grind of this world,
the dirge became
a second-line
of love and joy--
a long line
of people
with you at the helm, 
leading us to 
the promise land.

The promise land which is You...the fulfillment of the promise of you.

Elliot.

You glorious, glorious boy. 

Thank you.



4 comments:

coldspaghetti said...

Oh this made me cry cry cry!!! Happy birthday, Elliot!

(PS: I knew that Kate had been over tonight when I read to her before sleep and she had a WHY question with every single line of the book!! THAT'S ELLIOT! ) :-)

Emmy said...

Kate gave him a very sweet and serious, "Happy Birthday, Elliot" over dinner, and they played happily for a couple of hours.

He cried so sadly when she left, and kept repeating her name at the window.

We need to schedule a playdate SOON.
--
On the other note, I am so OVERWHELMED at my guy's FIFTH birthday. I can't even begin to explain...

Pitty Boon said...

Love, love, love this Emmy. You captured him perfectly.

I will never forget the day I "got" it. You and I, and baby Amaya were walking on the levee...El was not even a year old. It had been a challenging day of therapy and I remarked how lucky El is to have you all for his family. You stopped our walk mid stride and said "Georgia, WE are the lucky ones."

Thanks for including us in your second line of joy.

We love your family, and your sunshine birthday boy.

chrissie said...

This is so beautiful. Reading this I was thinking of you tearing up talking about your family--there is so much love and joy there.