Wednesday, April 14, 2010

First Crush?

Ana says to me tonight, eyes gleaming with a well-guarded secret:
I have a friend named Michael at school.  If I tell you something about him, will you promise not to laugh?

With a solid, steely eye, I tell her:
I promise, I won't laugh.

With caution but overwhelming excitement (beans spilling):
You promise, promise???  You won't tell OR laugh??

Eyebrows raised, my most excellent promise:
I promise, promise.  I PINKY promise.

We lock our pinkies, staring into each other's eyes.

Mama, my friend Michael at school, I think he's really....

I think he's really...
(how does one speak the unspeakable?)

He's really.....PEACEFUL.

__

Well, my dear, I clearly did tell-- all of these people in cyberspace, but it's not the secret, or Michael we're smiling about.  It's you, and the way your amazing mind and sweet heart work. 

3 comments:

chrissie said...

I love this. Picturing your sweet moment with your sweet, sweet girl--the first of many sweet moments to come.

chrissie said...

Okay, NOT the first sweet moment--DUH. :)

shokufeh said...

Love! How absolutely awesome and real Ana is.