Monday, November 24, 2008

6 years ago


Yesterday was mine and Kevin's SIX YEAR ANNIVERSARY. Thinking of all that's happened since we took our vows on that beach in Roatan makes my head spin. Life has been full, and dizzying, and now, here we are.

I can't imagine my journey of parenting with anyone else. I'm amazed by Kevin's humor, grace, and calm, and I have seen myself grow so much just from working to enjoy each day we have together. I feel so lucky to share my life with someone who challenges me to be my best self just from being around him.

But, as much as I love our Pininos, Kevin and I desparately need to reconnect as a couple. We were married but 4 months when I became pregnant with Ana, and it's been the Kentucky Derby ever since. This past week, I've been longing for the couple we were during our 4 year courtship...spontaneous love notes on my car windshield, eating mangoes to Stevie Wonder in a steamy apartment, long walks on the beach with no sense of time, traveling to paradise a couple of times a year and skinny-dipping in waterfalls, laying out under the stars saying nothing.

That kind of romance hasn't been forgotten. It's been replaced with everyday acts of love and thoughfulness in the context of our happily nutty home. But I miss my husband. Just my husband. For our anniversary post, I could find only ONE picture of just the two of us, and it was grainy and bad, and taken on our last anniversary. This when I have at least a thousand pics stored. That says something... I want to go scuba diving on a beach somewhere, and enjoy his high-jinx at 60 feet, stumble back to a porch with some Bob Marley playin and drink some terrible local beer that's at least cold, and talk for hours, uninterrupted, and then sleep in, until someone knocks with a plate of fresh mango and pineapple, and it all starts again..don't get me started.


Because we don't have a picture


But ya, know, I'd settle for just going for a walk together. And that is something that we can manage to do. That's where we are at this 6 year point. Recommiting to each other, committing to finding each other and making our relationship with each individual a priority. We are not that starry-eyed couple who married that day at sunset...we've grown and changed and are so different now. But we still have starry-eyes, and I believe they shine more brightly. I just want some time to look in them.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hope the pizza was yummy and the card thoughtful. And take some pictures, already. I do self portraits on the couch even, so there ya go. No excuses, get to eating mango on the back deck.

chrissie said...

Happy anniversary! Beautiful post.