Monday, September 24, 2007

Heifer International Project

The preschool recently studied the way of life in many African countries from Ms. Merry's perspective. Merry has spent several months in two African countries, and brought pictures and photo-books to share with the children. It's no surprise that a study of cultures that drastically contrast our country's would affect our preschoolers.

I'm sure preschool parents fielded a variety of questions and comments. My daughter Ana seemed to fixate on famine as Merry described the struggles of Ethiopia. Previously, Ana and I had spoken at length about the injustice of hunger. Her own grandma (Tita) grew up in abject poverty in Honduras, and her life and survival have greatly impacted me and my parenting. Learning about Africa had those synapses firing in Ana's brain at dinner one night when she asked, "Why can't we bring some of our dinner to Africa?" After my helpless explanation, I realized that Ana was asking me: "What can we do?"

And so, in October, during my afternoon art time with the preschool, we will create a variety of handicrafts to raise money for Heifer International, an non-profit organization that donates livestock to indigent peoples around the world. A flock of chicks, for example, can be purchased for as little as $20 so we'll have some modicum of success. Ana has fixated on the mammals, however, and lets folks know she's "bringing goats to Africa."

As with all our afternoon projects, the preschoolers who express the most interest will take the lead in shaping the project. All preschoolers, and many of our other students will help create a variety of handicrafts that we will exhibit during the city-wide gallery night on November 3 at La Divina Gelateria. If you have ideas for things we can make, please let me (Emmy) know. We appreciate your support in helping teach our children about social justice and their own power, even from far away.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Ah, perhaps I can help guide creation of concrete leaves, birdbaths, and painted trashcans... what I wouldn't do for Ana and goats.

shokufeh said...

I love what is planned for Ana's "own activity." I have no ideas right now for what you can make, but I do plan to come November 3.